I am a social psychologist whose interests are mainly in two areas: the psychology of gender and the psychology of attitudes. I am especially interested in sex differences and similarities in leadership, prosocial behavior, aggression, partner preferences, and sociopolitical attitudes. My research has examined the content of stereotypes, attitudinal selectivity in information processing, social role theory as a theory of sex differences and similarities, and the origins of sex differences in social behavior.
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Gender Psychology
- Organizational Behavior
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Research Methods, Assessment
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Eagly, A. H., Beall, A., & Sternberg, R. S. (Eds.). (2004). The psychology of gender (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.
- Eagly, A. H., & Carli, L. L. (2007). Through the labyrinth: The truth about how women become leaders. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Eagly, A. H., Baron, R. M., & Hamilton, V. L. (Eds.). (2004). The social psychology of group identity and social conflict: Theory, application, and practice. Washington, DC: APA Books.
- Eagly, A. H., & Chaiken, S. (1993). The psychology of attitudes. Fort Worth, TX: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.
- Eagly, A. H., & Wood, W. (2011). Feminism and the evolution of sex differences and similarities. Sex Roles, 64, 758-767.
- Fetterolf, J., & Eagly, A. H. (2011). Do young women expect gender equality in their future lives? An answer from a possible selves experiment.Sex Roles, 65, 83-93.
- Koenig, A. M., Eagly, A. H., Mitchell, A. A., & Ristikari, T. (2011). Are leader stereotypes masculine? A meta-analysis of three research paradigms. Psychological Bulletin, 137, 616-642. doi:10.1037/a0023557
- Vinkenburg, C. J., van Engen, M. L., Eagly, A. H., & Johannesen-Schmidt, M. C. (2011). An exploration of stereotypical beliefs about leadership styles: Is transformational leadership a route to women's promotion? The Leadership Quarterly, 22, 10-21.
- Eagly, A. H., & Chin, J. (2010). Diversity and leadership in a changing world. American Psychologist , 65, 216-224.
- Eagly, A. H. (2009). The his and hers of prosocial behavior: An examination of the social psychology of gender. American Psychologist, 64, 644-658.
- Carli, L. L., & Eagly, A. H. (2011). Gender and leadership. In D. Collinson, A. Bryman, K. Grint, B. Jackson, & M. Uhl Bien (Eds.), Sage handbook of leadership (pp. 269-285). London: Sage Publications.
- Wood, A. H., & Eagly, A. H. (2010). Gender. In S. Fiske, D. Gilbert, & G. Lindzey (Eds.), Handbook of social psychology (5th ed., Vol. 1, pp. 629-667). New York: Wiley.
- Carli, L. L., & Eagly, A. H. (2012). Leadership and gender. In J. Antonakis & D. Day (Eds.), The nature of leadership (2nd ed., pp. 417-476). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Gender and Leadership
- Psychology of Attitudes
- Psychology of Gender
- Phone: (847) 467-5026
- Fax: (847) 491-7859
Department of Psychology
2029 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-2710